Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

ISO PPC Audit info.

• Tuesday, April 27, 2021 13:21
    Message # 10372801
    Ronald “ Todd” Atherton (Administrator)

Good afternoon 

I'm am looking to see if anyone has run into a water company telling the local fire departments, insurance companies, homeowners, and businesses that the fire hydrants are for flushing the system and not fire protection?

Where I work, we have three companies that provide water to different areas. Two are great to work with. One absolutely will not work with us at all. 

Yesterday in our PPC audit with ISO, the general manager told the ISO rep just that. 

The rep was floored. He said in all the years he's been doing this, he has never come across a water company that provides fire hydrants, but they are not for fire use. 

The rep informed the GM that his entire system that covers 3 counties several thousand residents, a large industrial complex as well as a hospital will be de-certified and every customer within a thousand foot of their hydrants will receive an insurance rate increase. The rep informed the GM he really should rethink the stance of the company or be prepared to handle the backlash of thousands of people wanting answers. He also informs the GM if Thats goig to be the stance of the company to just remove all 500+ hydrants and pad your profits even more.

The water company GM came comply empenty handed gave us absolutely no information on the system and when the ISO rep asked if he had a business card for his boss the GM just said no I do not. He then got up and walked out of the meeting. 

I am completely at a loss for words.I live in there area pay my water bill which includes a $3.95 fire service fee every month. 

How can you just tell thousands of property owners that I'm sorry but the fire hydrant isn't for fire use and your insurance will be going up significantly in the next few months. 

The ISO rep told us he would send the response up his chain and see of they can get anywhere but Thats not looking good. 

Any thoughts? 

Last modified: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 13:36 | Ronald “ Todd” Atherton (Administrator)

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074