Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

IFC 314.4, item 1

• Monday, February 03, 2020 09:44
    Reply # 8712553 on 8570810
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

That's pretty much my take as well. 

The code cycles have a hard enough time keeping up with technology, let alone Indiana, where we are perpetually even further behind. 

I picked the brain of my car salesman when I had mine in for an oil change. They keep their cars connected to the battery, but he said they generally end up dead because people leave doors open, lights on, etc.. 

• Tuesday, January 28, 2020 16:10
    Reply # 8698865 on 8570810
    Anonymous

I dealt with this a few weeks ago.  I was inspecting all the car dealerships in Fort Wayne.  I was telling everyone that the batteries had to be disconnected on the vehicles on display in the showrooms.  One of the high profile dealers called the mayors office and complained that if they disconnect the batteries to the BMW's it would damage the computer in the car.  The 2018 fire code gives some leeway with this.  I don't remember exactly what it said.  We basically determined that the 2012 code is not keeping up with the technology in today's cars and we are allowing it.  Hope that helps.  

• Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:41
    Message # 8570810
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

Question for the group: 

How are you enforcing IFC 314.4 item 1 as it pertains to "batteries disconnected" for vehicles on display? 

This topic came up for discussion with us this week. 

1 file

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074