Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

water distribution ordinance

• Tuesday, November 16, 2021 10:06
    Reply # 12131148 on 12122255

When adopting portions of Section 507 into a local ordinance, be very careful of the Indiana Amendments on what is deleted.  There is a huge difference in section and subsection deletions.  If the amendment states "delete this section in its entirety" then the entire section is deleted.  If the amendment states "delete this subsection without substitution" then only that subsection is deleted, the remainder of the section is not deleted.  Example, Section 507.2 is deleted, but Sections 507.2.1 and 507.2.2. are not deleted.

• Monday, November 15, 2021 14:15
    Reply # 12129310 on 12122255
    Ronald “ Todd” Atherton (Administrator)

Isaac, 
    IAWC used to use main sizes to color code their hydrants. That information used to be posted in each engine and tanker. Although I’m sure it’s long gone by now. 
    I’ll look in my records and see if I can find the chart, I believe it was very similar to the NFPA color code. 
     As for flows, good luck I was unsuccessful in  gathering that information during my time there. 

Last modified: Monday, November 15, 2021 15:59 | Ronald “ Todd” Atherton (Administrator)
  • Monday, November 15, 2021 08:54
    Reply # 12128302 on 12122255
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

From a quick Google search, it looks like it's buried in an ANSI standard, which you have to pay to see, of course. 

We've been able to get main size maps from our purveyor, albeit without flow calcs, but it's a start for knowing where our better sources will be. 

• Friday, November 12, 2021 12:56
    Message # 12122255
    Anonymous

Floyd County is attempting to create a water distribution ordinance. The goal of this ordinance would be to formally adopt the Appendix B and C from the IFC. We have also contacted the private water suppliers in the area about adopting the NFPA 291 color coding for flow rates. We have been told by Indiana American Water that they will not paint flow rate on a  hydrant due to liability reasons. They are concerned that if a hydrant doesn't deliver the flow rate advertised that they may be liable.  Their legal team said the will continue to mark hydrants based on the AWWA schedule. 

Is anyone aware of the AWWA paint scheme?

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074