Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

R-2 smoke alarms

• Monday, May 13, 2024 08:01
    Reply # 13355869 on 13353590
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

Agreeing with Darrel's points about individual apartment systems not needing to report back to the main panel, only devices in common hallways and such would do that.

I think the module they are proposing to use would be more in line with accessories for ADA needs, i.e. third party strobes and such.

• Wednesday, May 08, 2024 07:18
    Reply # 13353787 on 13353590
    Anonymous

A couple of disjointed thoughts:

1. If this is a 6 unit apartment there is a good chance that the fire alarm system is not required.

2. Even if a fire alarm system is required, single and multi-station smoke alarms in the units are not required to report to the fire alarm panel.

3. If the building has a fire alarm system, the single/multi-station smoke alarms in the units are not required to activate when the fire alarm system activates.

I'm struggling to understand the necessity of this device in a Class 1 structure - I believe it is used more in a Class 2 setting to activate lights or a burglar alarm when a smoke alarm activates.

Feel free to give me a call at 317-557-8453 if you want to discuss further!

• Tuesday, May 07, 2024 16:30
    Message # 13353590

Hello,  putting this out for discussion in case I'm missing something.  I recently was asked if an alarm contractor may install the type of hardwired smoke alarms that would be installed in a 1 or 2 family home in a new 6 unit apartment.  I realize that they must report to the alarm panel and the means he plans to do this is with a UL residential relay.  Here is the link...

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/products/fire-safety/safety-accessories/auxiliary-devices/sm120x/

Each unit will have it's own relay.  It will be sprinklered.  The contractor assures me the relay will allow notification and complies with Chapter 10 of ICC A117.1.  I don't see that in the listing however.  Other than it not being listed for R-2 use but being listed for one and two family residential use I see no issue with allowing it.  Anyone see issues I do not?

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074