Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

Smoke Detector that alerts on your cell phone

• Tuesday, September 06, 2022 10:34
    Reply # 12908153 on 12901742
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

Not sure what system they are looking at, but I've run into a place or two that was non-required but used Simply Safe or something similar. 

The only other thing to consider is if you get an automated callout, and if that kicks in a  Knox Box requirement. 

• Friday, September 02, 2022 08:12
    Reply # 12904479 on 12901742
    Anonymous

I think you said it well - if its not a required system, and they can't afford a full fire alarm system, it is a cheap and easy compromise to at least achieve some level of protection.  To me, the biggest challenge is it is dependent on the internet connection and WiFi in the building, and of whoever's phone is connected to it monitoring their phone at all times, but it has worked well for me personally at my house.

• Thursday, September 01, 2022 08:07
    Reply # 12903389 on 12901742
    Steve Kropacek (Administrator)

Sorry about that.  I have a historic church that has a museum in the basement and record storage.  The church was moved to the current location in the 60's or 70's.  They are a non for profit organization.  They are not required to have a fire alarm.  All of there funding comes from donations and grants.  He was looking at ways to protect the documents and artifacts in the museum and storage.  This was a solution he came up with to be notified if there was an issue.  I just wanted to make sure this was something worth his time to do, or even reliable.  I figured something was better than nothing if he was looking at cheap alternative ways to protect the items in the museum, since he can't afford a fire alarm or the maintenance on it.

• Wednesday, August 31, 2022 11:28
    Reply # 12902452 on 12901742
    Anonymous

Not sure what you are looking for - is this in reference to required automatic fire alarm systems for Class 1 structures, or just general information?  I have had a Nest smoke alarm that connects to my phone for 8 years, and it functions well and provides a sort of 24/7 monitoring of my house without requiring a monitoring fee.

• Tuesday, August 30, 2022 19:35
    Message # 12901742
    Steve Kropacek (Administrator)

I was curious if anybody has ran into this or had any comments on these types of smoke detectors.

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074