Menu

fire inspectors association of indiana

Plastic Membrane Patio Wraps

• Thursday, February 18, 2021 08:46
    Message # 10112949
    Ronald Lipps (Administrator)

A question for the group about ASTM standards. We have a local business that installed a clear plastic membrane around their small patio. The product supplier provided a written letter stating that the material passes ASTM D-302 and ASTM D-568. I was also able to get a scrap and, with the manager, applied a flame and verified that it self extinguished when the flame was removed.

The occupant load is less than 100, and no sprinklers required.

So on the surface it all seems good, except the referenced ASTM standards are no longer used, and of course you have to break out the credit card to actually view them and see if there is any equivalency to current standards. The titles of the standards indicate they were flame spread and self-extinguishing tests.

So my question is: If a product was tested to an ASTM standard, didn't change, but that standard is retired, is that product still acceptable under the original standard, or do they have to recertify every time the standards change? Also, after checking IFC and IBC and their commentaries and finding everything BUT what I was hoping to find, is there a reference I may have overlooked?

This appears be manufactured in Japan, and distributed through Canada, by the way.

1 file

Mailing Address: 

Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana

17437 Carey Road

Westfield, IN 46074